For the longest time I wasn’t too sure about meditation as anything other than a focus tool, at least not until one day when I just sat down determined to see if all that stuff about energy and chakras had any truth to it. Honestly the kick that finally tossed me into gear was a clip about Aang from The Last Airbender where they likened the pools of chakra to pools of water flowing down a creek, they gave out a few simple steps which I found helpful so i’m going to quickly run you all through what I did with them. I’d say I spent about 15-20 minutes on each chakra.
- The Root Chakra – With this chakra what I did was focus on the base of my spine where there’s said to be a cone of energy which is commonly associated with the colour red. Think about everything it is that you fear, what makes you truly afraid? You must learn to let those fears go, let them all flow down the river which connects them. Letting your fears go can be extremely difficult but it will help to at least acknowledge them all if nothing else.
- The Sacral Chakra – Think of an orange pool of energy around three inches below the navel, although since this chakra is sometimes connected to water you could also picture light shades of blue if that clicks better for you. Look at all of your guilt, what do you blame yourself for? Acknowledge everything and forgive yourself for what you can, let go of what you can’t. Guilty situations will always end up happening at some point in your life but you need to learn to let that guilt go. No good can come from hanging on to that energy and letting it fester. Let your guilt all just flow down the river, I’ll be mentioning that analogy a lot.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra – Located around the upper half of your belly, focus on feeling that swirling pool of energy just like the others although in this case picture a yellow, fiery ball of energy. Now focus on something we often try to avoid, what are you ashamed of? What are the worst times you’ve ever disappointed yourself? You need to acknowledge this side of you by loving and accepting who you are, your mistakes were a vital part of creating who you are today. If you cannot accept that part of yourself than this will be a rather difficult chakra for you.
- The Heart Chakra – Moving to the middle of my chest I came to the heart chakra. Visualize this chakra as a swirling pool of green energy. This chakra was difficult for me as it deals with love and in order to unlock/unblock this chakra you need to let your grief flow down the river. Acknowledge each and every grievance, every painful loss, and allow them to fade away. The energy of those old loves/attachments will always be swirling around you and that will not disappear, however love will continue to take new and different forms, new attachments will come to replay those that have gone. Allow the currents to wash it all away.
- The Throat Chakra – Located right around the lower soft part of your neck is the chakra associated with sound and dealing with truth. Commonly pictured as purple, turquoise, or even aquamarine. Personally I prefer a nice tranquil turquoise. To unlock this chakra you need to acknowledge all of the little lies you tell yourself, you need to stop denying your own nature and accept that you are who you are. That is not to say you cannot change, but for this chakra you must learn to be content with who you are now. There’s no reason to deny yourself so just let that all flow through this beautiful river of energy.
- The Brow Chakra – This chakra is also know as the ‘Third Eye’ located somewhere between your eyebrows (although some people say the middle of your forehead.) and it’s associated with the pineal gland, visualize it as a deep purple or a bluish-white. This chakra deals with insight and is all about seeing past the illusions of this world. The biggest one and the one which I meditated on while trying to unlock my chakras was the illusion of separation. We are all connected, everything is connected and the very idea of separation is absurd to you once you’ve glimpsed this chakra, we often refer to this connection as the collective consciousness. The example given in Avatar is how if you really look you can see how every element is connected and part of the same whole, they are all one and contain each other.
- The Crown Chakra – The last chakra needing to be opened is located at the top of the head or even sometimes thought to be just above the head like an actual crown of energy; pure white energy. Although again like the last few, this chakra is occasionally depicted as a deep purple. But a blinding white light resembling that of a star’s light seemed to work the best for me. This chakra is actually the most demanding one to unlock and many people will never truly succeed in opening it, you must meditate on what attaches you to this world; what are your earthly attachments? Got a good handle on them? Release them all. You must allow them to flow down the river, in order to truly let go. Let the “pure cosmic energy” flow through you, feel that connection and when and only when you have managed to do this, will you have unlocked all of your chakras and be able to connect to your “Higher Self” achieving pure spiritual bliss.
Now believer or skeptic I’d recommend going through this list sometime, I guarantee that you’ll learn some things about yourself from the experience. Even if you just call it self reflection at the end of the day. I’d also recommend listening to a bi-neural beat recording associated with each chakra you work on, they can really help you get into that meditative state! Anyways I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed getting to write a guide to unlocking the chakras I wish i’d had years ago, it may have just been a me thing but I found meditation became way easier after I went through my chakras.
“However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act upon them?” ~Buddha
Tranquil readings people,